The Organization "Thalpos-Mental Health" (former Athena-Social Care) is a non-profit and non-governmental organization established in 2005 with an active role in the intervention and the information on mental health and in managing social care programs.
The cornerstone of the Organization was the establishment, the organization and the operation of the two Psychosocial Rehabilitation Units (PRU) of the living quarters type for mental patients, “Thalpos Attica” and “Thalpos Kalamata" which operate in accordance with the Greek Mental Health Reform Framework and the Program “Psychargos" and under the supervision of the Ministry of Health.
At the same time, since 2007, the Organization has worked with local, national and European bodies for the development and the implementation of detailed strategy action plans on entrepreneurship, employment, social integration, mental health and welfare, with the aim to raise awareness and participate actively in the local communities in order to address social issues in the long term.
The Administration of the Organization
The bodies of representation and management of our Organization are the General Assembly, the Management Committee and the Administrator to which the Scientific Responsible of each unit has to report. Their powers are provided for in the articles of association of the Organization.
The history of the Organization
The Organization has been active for ten years in social programs and in operating two Units of Psychosocial Rehabilitation.
- 2005: establishment of the “Athena-Social Care” Organization
- 2006-2007: establishment and operation of the Psychosocial Rehabilitation Units “Thalpos"
- 2007- 2008: employment aid with the active participation of 5 Non-governmental Organizations through five information and awareness programs focusing on five pillars (human and the environment, social exclusion, culture, sustainable development, gender equality)
- 2010-2011: Play & Learn on Mental Health - first board game on the mental health of young people, an initiative of the Organization
- 2012-2013: Community Work Program - addressing and combating unemployment by developing actions and with the involvement of public hospitals for the first time, at the initiative of the Organization
- 2012-2014: Against Exclusion - cooperation for education against social exclusion
- 2013-2015: Local Plans on Occupation Thrasia- Young Women of Science in occupation
- 2018: in the beginning of the year, the organization changes its name to “Thalpos-Mental Health"