By the Head of Nursing Facilities of "Thalpos Attica" Georgia Santourtzoglou
In recent decades, cardiovascular diseases are the scourge in industrialized countries and tend to be converted into "pandemic" concerned the whole planet by affecting the populations of developing countries, as well.
- One in 10 men aged between 50 and 59 suffers from "silent" coronary disease and is at risk of developing heart attack without any warning.
- One in three deaths worldwide is caused by heart disease and stroke.
- In Greece, cardiovascular disease is the first cause of death in young people aged under 35 years old.
- Every year, in Greece, 1,200 children are born with heart diseases.
The size of a heart is greater than a punch, she weighs from 280 to 340 letters and looks like a three-sided pyramid. She is the main pump of the circulatory system and is in the back and bottom of the mediastinum.
We need to protect and take care of our heart with every possible means. For example, by having a balanced diet, putting physical activity in our everyday life and giving more attention to the charming feelings that love brings about.
Diet and Physical Activity
- Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables. They reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases because they contain antioxidant vitamins, fiber and are a source of potassium.
- Drink one to two glasses of wine a day. Wine increases good cholesterol and reduces the bad one. In general, drinking alcohol in moderation is associated with decreased risk of coronary heart disease.
- Check the habit of adding salt in meals. Salt has the ability to raise the blood pressure, thus tachycardia occurs and the heart gets tired.
- Consume fish two to three times a week to obtain the protective antithrombotic activity of the omega-three fatty acids.
- Put your sneakers on. Daily exercise reduces by 50% the risk of death caused by coronary disease, myocardial infarction, heart attack and congestive heart failure.
- Listen to classical music. Experts point out that this kind of music is related to the reduction of heart rate and blood pressure.
- Stop smoking. You lose 11 minutes of life for every cigarette you smoke.
However, more and more researches show that beyond physical health, mental health and particularly love is an important element for the proper function of the heart. It significantly reduces levels of stress and protects the heart. It is very important for the prevention and treatment of diseases affecting the heart, such as myocardial infarction and stroke. Patients who present for the first time a heart attack, when they have close relationships with people in their environment and feel human warmth, are at less risk of complications or a second heart attack.
- Love and take care of yourself.
- Express your love to your beloved ones.
- Make small acts of kindness, offer to the world around you.
- Cultivate gratitude.
Last but not least, remember to smile. At first opportunity scream with laughter. Laughter exercises the heart and brings about feelings of wellness.