The Organization Athena-Social Care (now “Thalpos-Mental Health”) in cooperation with local authorities, actively participated in the development of actions to address and combat unemployment, realizing the Acton “Jobs creation at local level through programs of general interest in the Region of Attica” and specifically related to the West, East, Central and South Sectors of Attica, and the Regional Sector of Piraeus. The program lasted from February 2012 to February 2013.
The Organization “Athena-Social Care” was a pioneer in the activation for the participation of public hospitals for the first time in social care. programs. 704 unemployed were recruited in total for the implementation of actions of general interest with a five-month duration, who were employed by the following cooperating bodies:
- Municipality of Agios Dimitrios, 85 people
- Municipality of Zografos, 115 people
- Organization for Culture, Sport and Youth of the Municipality of Athens, 95 people
- General Hosptal of Athens” G. Gennimatas", 70 people
- Region of Attica, 339 people in the following public hospitals:
- General Regional Children Hospital, “Agia Sophia"
- General Regional Hospital of Athens,"Alexandra"
- General Hospital of Athens, "Evangelismos"
- General Thoracic Diseases Hospital, “Sotiria”
- Special Cancer Hospital of Piraeus, “Metaxa"
- General University Hospital, “Atticon"
- General Hospital, “Asclepion of Voula"
Indicatively, some of the 39 general interest activities realized by the cooperating bodies, include actions relating to:
- provision of personal care services for people treated in Hospital Units
- provision of personal support services for vulnerable groups
- psychological support and consulting of vulnerable groups
- creative occupation for children
- development of voluntarism cores
- implementation of sports programs
- implementation of environmental actions.
The Program was co-financed by the European Union (European Social Fund - ESF) and Greek national funds (Ministry of Labor, social security and social solidarity and the Managing Authority of the Operational Program for Human Potential Development), the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) 2007-2013 - the Operational Program for Human Resources Development 2007-2013. Total funding of 2.6 million euros.